Click here to view a recording of our Lunch and Learn with Prof. Jeffrey Veidlinger, “A Historical Perspective on the Situation in Ukraine” on March 10, 2022.
Resources recommended by Rabbi Greyber:
- An outstanding sermon given by my friend and teacher, Rabbi David Wolpe, at Sinai Temple. Click here to listen.
- The Times of Israel article: 18 Things to Know About Ukraine’s Jewish Defender of Democracy Volodymyr Zelensky
- An update on the situation in Ukraine from Masorti Olami, March 10, 2022
Beth El’s own Ralph Snyderman has written and spoken poignantly about his family’s history:
- Click here to read an April 6, 2021 article in The Forward, “My Parents Escaped the Pograms in the Ukraine; Here’s Why I Returned”
- Click here and listen between 7:30 and 13 minutes to listen to Ralph’s talk at the October 4, 2015 dedication of the Silver Family Annex and Snyderman Family Garden Dedication of the Durham Hebrew Cemetery.
Links to Donate:
1) JDC (the Joint Distribution Committee)
2) Masorti Olami – supporting Conservative movement synagogues and camps in Ukraine
3) JFNA (Jewish Federation of North America)
4) HIAS Ukraine crisis response
5) ORT America – Impact Through Education
6) Hillel International Emergency Relief Fund
Rabbi Nachman’s Prayer for Peace
Posted on: Friday, May 21, 2021
May it be Your will,
Holy One, our God, our ancestors’ God,
that you erase war and bloodshed from the world
and in its place draw down
a great and glorious peace
so that nation shall not lift up sword against nation
neither shall they learn war any more.
Rather, may all the inhabitants of the earth
recognize and deeply know
this great truth:
that we have not come into this world
for strife and division
nor for hatred and rage,
nor provocation and bloodshed.
We have come here only
to encounter You,
eternally blessed One.
we ask your compassion upon us;
raise up, by us, what is written:
I shall place peace upon the earth
and you shall lie down safe and undisturbed
and I shall banish evil beasts from the earth
and the sword shall not pass through your land.
but let justice come in waves like water
and righteousness flow like a river,
for the earth shall be full
of the knowledge of the Holy One
as the waters cover the sea.
So may it be.
And we say:
(Translation by Rabbi Deborah Silver. The quotations are: Leviticus 26:6, Amos 5:24 and Isaiah 11:9)