The Lifelong Learning Committee brings Jewish educational programs to Beth El, and to the greater Triangle Jewish community. We offer classes, lectures, and discussion groups, on topics that range from prayerbook Hebrew to mindfulness meditation to psalms and megillot. Classes generally take place Sunday mornings at Beth El, or during the evenings at locations in Durham and Chapel Hill.
2019-2020 Schedule of Events
Visit our calendar for confirmed times and locations. These events will take place at Beth El Synagogue, 1004 Watts Street, unless otherwise noted.
Hebrew I with Donna Goldstein: Sundays, 10:00-11:00 am, September 8-December 8 (no class on September 29 or November 24) — Register Here!
Hebrew Prayer Book Reading Class with Donna Goldstein: Mondays, 7:00-8:00 pm, September 9-December 2 — Register Here!
Walking with the Jewish Calendar with Rabbi Greyber — Register Here!
Saturday, May 30: Siyum / Shavuot / Adult B’nei Mitzvah*
August 3: Imam Abdul Waheed
“The Development of Islam Historically and Amongst the African American”
October 5: Sonari Glinton
“Forgiveness and Memory: What the Bible Tells Us About Reconciliation in Modern Life, Public and Private”
Regular Study Groups
- At 8:45 am on Saturday mornings, a group gathers at Beth El to study Mishnah before Shabbat services (will resume in the Fall). There’s also a brief text study after the 8:00 am Wednesday morning minyan at the Freedman Center (1008 Watts Street). These study groups are open to everyone. No matter what your level of knowledge, and whether you can come once a week or once a year, you’re very welcome to attend.
- Wednesday morning weekday services starts at 8:00 am. Join us for services, coffee, nosh, and schmoozing, followed by a study led by Rabbi Greyber on the book of Exodus as read by the Medieval Jewish Commentators. Rosh Chodesh Wednesday services start at 7:45 am; check the weekly announcements to confirm start time.
- We offer an advanced weekly Midrash class led by Rabbi Emeritus Steve Sager. Please contact Rabbi Sager if you are interested in joining this group.
- Do you sometimes wish there was more time to discuss the Parasha/Torah Portion of the Week? Approximately once a month, we offer Torah discussions led by various congregants. Times vary from before (9:30 am) or concurrent with (10:30 am) the Torah reading in the main sanctuary, to an occasional session held after kiddush lunch. Check out our calendar for upcoming sessions.
- In order to meet some of our members where they are, Rabbi Greyber leads monthly Lunch and Learn sessions at the Chapel Hill Library). The topics vary each month, so please check out the calendar for upcoming sessions.